What I love about Norfolk
My life has been shaped, surrounded and nurtured by the Norfolk landscape, its landmarks, seasons, smells and tastes. Two of Norfolk’s most familiar sights became the core inspiration for this business, its marshes, and its flintstone. Together they symbolize the cyclic rhythm and longevity of this very special place; the marshes shift and respond to the constant ebb and flow of tide, moon, and season, while flint carries an ancient strength and remains resilient to the passing of time.
I firmly believe in drawing inspiration from everything around us and being able to teach our children the value of our relationship with nature and the impact we can have on it, and it on us.
One of the key features of living harmoniously in our immediate environment for me is a slower pace of life, and spending as much time as possible outdoors, being in nature, allowing a pace which enables you to notice the miracle of a butterfly, the shimmering purple haze of an expanse of sea lavender in August, the salty taste of freshly foraged samphire or the squelch of mud between your toes.
My favourite spot is the shingle bank at Cley, the timeworn and familiar joy of the light on the water, plunging in for a swim in all seasons, the wide expanse of the sky, especially at sunset; and the sight of my Granny, now long gone, wading fearlessly into the sea. Memories layered up through countless hours, and the span of my life from earliest childhood.
While I have fond memories of cucumber sandwiches and salty quiche on the beach these days you can’t beat a trip into Holt for Eric’s Fish & Chips - The arancini balls and battered gherkins are the best! And the absolute top place for coffee has to be Stiffkey Stores - My order is always a de-caf cappuccino and an almond croissant (they are amazing)! There are a lot of wonderful places which are our family favourites, and here’s a shout out to some of the best, great things to do, eat, and enjoy!
- The wonderful independent shops - some of my favourites include Joyful Living, Stiffkey Stores, Nomad & The Bowerbird and Sprout Interiors.
- Locally sourced produce and amazing cheese - Creake Abbey and The Norfolk Deli in Hunstanton.
- Favourite Norfolk Brand - The amazing Little Dottie Designs & Norfolk Gin (their bottles are the prettiest)!
- Burnham Overy - I want to learn to paddle board next!
- Family walks - Holkham Hall, Sandringham and Wells Pinewoods are our favourites.
- My favourite place to meet friends - Siding - I love the relaxed feel and they also sell amazing baked sourdough goods!
- Mudslides and crabbing at Stiffkey Marshes, it’s a childhood favourite!
- Favourite restaurant - has to be Socius in Burnham Market! The food is to die for and they serve the best cocktails!
- Best place to take children - Pensthorpe we have always been members it’s fantastic value and always so much going on throughout the year.
Thank you for reading